Sunday, April 23, 2006

Hymn of the Week, 4th Sunday of April '06

First Edition!!! With a bonus Hymn!!!
Ok, ok, so I have had virtually no time for any thing. But I thought I would go ahead and introduce a new feature that I plan on trying to do every week, "Hymn of the Week". I have not always loved hymns, but over the past couple of years I have really come to appreciate them. If any should know any thing about the worship at Christ Fellowship is that we honor the great hymns of the past. They are rich in theology and exhortations. Needless to say,I love worship at our church it is such a rich blessing to hear the great hymns and praise choruses of church history. So I thought I would share some of the great hymns that are so dear to me. I am kicking around the idea of actually personaly commenting on the hymns them selves, but for the time I let you use enjoy them for what they are. To kick off this series of post, I decided to give you two to savor. So with out further aduie, here are this weeks hymns.
P.S. I may update these later with some personal commentary on what in the songs capture my affections

Come Ye Sinners
Come, ye sinners, poor and needy,
Weak and wounded, sick and sore;
Jesus ready stands to save you,
Full of pity, love and power.

I will arise and go to Jesus,
He will embrace me in His arms;
In the arms of my dear Savior,
O there are ten thousand charms.

Come, ye thirsty, come, and welcome,
God’s free bounty glorify;
True belief and true repentance,
Every grace that brings you nigh.

Refrain

Come, ye weary, heavy laden,
Lost and ruined by the fall;
If you tarry till you’re better,
You will never come at all.

Refrain

View Him prostrate in the garden;
On the ground your Maker lies.
On the bloody tree behold Him;
Sinner, will this not suffice?

Refrain

Lo! th’incarnate God ascended,
Pleads the merit of His blood:
Venture on Him, venture wholly,
Let no other trust intrude.

Refrain

Let not conscience make you linger,
Not of fitness fondly dream;
All the fitness He requireth
Is to feel your need of Him.

Refrain

Words by Joseph Hart, 1759

Bonus: Trust and Obey
When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.

Refrain

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.

Refrain

But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
Refrain
Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet.
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.
Refrain

Words by John H. Sammis, 1887.

Words pulled off of CyberHymnal.org

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, take care

Anonymous said...

Come Ye Sinners is GREAT! I love songs written in minor keys. 8>)

Reapergirl said...

This is definitly a great song! Ahh!
I love how we sing it with such force and with a marching forward tone! at least that's the way that I percieve to to be song at CFBC