Friday, February 03, 2006

The Crooked End of the Spear

Just recently I went and saw The End of The Spear; it is the story of Nick and Steive Saint and a cannibal tribe in Ecuador. I was very disappointed to hear that they had cast an openly gay activist for the role of Nick Saint witch has bad enough implications as it is, but after seeing the movie I was even more appalled at its almost overt omission of the Gospel its self. Some of what I will say here might me mere speculation. I promise to keep that to a minimum.I must say that me personaly i have not read any books on the story of these faithful men, but i have heard their stories, have been impacted by quotes of the men who were marytered
Jim Eliot was portrayed as an Idiot.
I am sure that Jim Eliot was a fun guy. But the way He was portrayed in this movie was as, seemed to me, an absolute Imbecile. He said very few intelligent things although he had one serious part. And he did not really seem to portray the gospel witch if anybody
The Gospel was hidden.
There was only one verse quoted in the entire movie. It was the translated verse of John 3:16. And it was simply a means to pacify. The need for the gospel was never really discussed. These people needing to stop killing each other was mentioned, the fact that the missionaries wanted to be ‘friends’ was mentioned, but the word hell, haa , who uses that word any more the way it is meant to be used. Christ lordship and sin was never mentioned in the movie. Olsten would have been proud. There were so many places where the Gospel could have been introduced. No the story was about how we could reconcile a son and his fathers murderer, and how to westernize a tribe and get it medicine. All this is great, but the gospel was scarcely there. If I had no idea of the story, or the personal testimonies of the men who gave every thing I could assume that they could have very well might have been UN aid workers. But no these men gave everything for the Gospel. It was foolishness, not niceness or just being nice to your fellow humans
The sovereignty of God was denied.

When Steve Saint was comforting his son, Gods control of the situation was not mentioned like I would think it would be. His control over the situation was never even mentioned in the movie. One would think that a missionary would have come to terms in a situation like this. It is never even hinted at. I think this would have been a great theme
Martyrdom was mocked with a hyper warm fuzzy experience

It tried to establish the Goodness of men.
The movie really tried to play off the goodness of these men. I don’t know if the mercy really did happen with the natives I got the big impression that Mincayani was really good down inside he just needed a little help. He was getting tired of all the killing. I never really got the impresion from the story that The tribes%

No comments: