Friday, November 03, 2006

The Joy of Learning.

I love my church. It challenges me. It shows me my sin. It humbles me. It teaches me. It shows me the grace of God. It shows me what true wisdom is. It lets me know more clearly who Christ is.
It allows me to serve the body of Christ. But most of all it has shown me the value of displine.
As one who wants to be a pastor one day, and as one who observes and hangs around such types all the time, I am learning that I have some sanctification to go though. This has been such a blessing seeing the fruits of Godliness in my life that have come from other either directly challenging me or me observing something that challenges me.

Observations
- Its not a sin to get up early, matter of fact its a great idea to.
- I need to develop a life style of displine NOW not 2 months from now not two weeks from now, but now.
- develop a discipline to reading.
- develop disciplines and consistency on how I study for lessons I give to the middle school.
- Learn from observing others Preach.
- listen to preaching often and never waste a moment for growth.
- Learn to serve when you can, and physically serving is not beneath me.
- Always look for ways to improve your homiletics, exigeisis, exposition, and interpretation.
- MEDITATE on the Word.
- Memorize scripture (a practice i still need to get in)
- Find ways to cultivate a heart for the Word.
- Be willing to show your commitment to serve before even touching the pulpit.
- Be willing to serve no matter what your "real" gifts are.(if you need clarification on this one i am more than willing to oblige)
- Be accountable to others on the way you live your life.
- Always evaluate how you did with your teaching. (never waste an opurtunity to learn)
- Always have some one you can trust to give honest feed back on the teaching done.
- Develop an teachable spirit.
- Be a man of conviction.
- Don't just swallow doctrine whole, but it make it a conviction of your own. (in other words know why you believe what you believe)
- Books are a pastors best friend.
- Graciously correct others. (Don't over look sin)
- Be willing to submit.
- Love books. (which I do)
- Know your history.
- Know and love the people you serve.


Challenges
- See my school work as work to unto the Lord. (This is hard considering, Computers are no my joy any more. )
- Make a schedule. Stick to it.(But dont be too rigid.)
- Develop a consistent way of studying for my lessions/sermons.
- Set aside and block off time to study for my lessions/sermons.
- Become a student of preaching. ( which I have many great examples before me to learn that are willing)

Observations about teaching the Word
- Apply what you teach.
- Pray about what you teach. (and do it often in preparation)
- Dont shoot so far above their heads that the entire meaning is lost. ( no most seventh graders are not going to know what I mean by the word hermeneutics)
- Have some one to ask how you did teaching.
- Study hard for you teaching.
- Commentaries are an excellent resource
- Make relevant Application.
- Make accurate exigeisis( with out this real application of the text is almost like groping in the dark.)


You may notice some of these overlap, and from those of you that are around to observe my life may see that I am still working on some of these. But if there is one thing I know Gods grace is sufficient to carry me though. Incomplete and some what random list I know. But I hope it blesses you to see what I am learning discipline about.

No comments: